Who needs an ELD?

The ELD Rule applies to most commercial vehicle companies and drivers currently required to prepare and maintain Records of Duty Status (RODS). This includes commercial buses and trucks and Canadian and Mexican domiciled drivers traveling into the US.

Those not required to use an ELD – but who may  choose to – include:

  • Drivers who use paper logs for no more than 8 days during any 30-day period.
  • Driveaway-towaway drivers (transporting an empty vehicle for sale, lease or repair).
  • Drivers of vehicles manufactured before model year 2000.

If you are exempt from using ELDs  you must keep proper documentation to support your exemption. Learn more  about exemptions here.

To compare EZ-ELD with other providers, use our easy Ready Reckoner.